Friday, December 25, 2009

#8. 'If I wrote you a symphony'


Justin Timberlake ft. Timbaland and T.I. "My Love"

Bullet Points!
  • If "Closer" was the classiest thing to hit modern R n B this decade I doubt this would be far behind. It's got more of a lushness to it but it's just as restrained and seemingly casual.
  • I don't know how he did it, but the way Timbaland made those molasses-thick synth-orchestral chords sound like a revelation is fucking staggering.
  • The intro is essential, if only for the transition from the last-minute-of-"Work It"-style bells and bleeps into that main synth figure.
  • T.I.'s guest verse is the sort of thing every guest rapper should listen to before laying anything down. It's like Luda's verse from "Yeah!" only the song isn't completely deplorable otherwise.
  • I know it's a tired point to make, but did anyone really see Timberlake's transformation from boyband refugee to actually somewhat mature pop star (and funny motherfucker to boot) coming? Dude actually made me reconsider my blanket dislike of *Nsync for a while there (it's still mostly intact though)
  • 'They call me candle guy/simply 'cuz I am on fire' = win

No comments: