Saturday, August 1, 2009

My Favorite 150 Singles of the 00's

And here's why I started this whole blog thing in the first place: rather than waiting until the end of the year to make a list of the singles that most piqued my interest this decade I wanted to go...bigger I guess. The plan is that every day I'll add a new entry to the list, along with some words about why it's here and all that fun stuff. If my calculations are correct (and real life doesn't interfere too much) this should put the last entry on New Years Eve,so the 5 people who'll follow it by then will have another reason to celebrate that night.

Firstly though, I'll just outline what exactly I'm using as criteria for making the list:

  1. I have to like the song enough to want to talk at length about it. There are plenty of singles released over the last 10 years that I like a lot, but if I can't see myself having enough material to make a substantial post about them it's not gonna happen.
  2. It has to be a single in some sense of the word. I don't care if it never had a CD single or 7" associated with it, if it had a video made or was part of any major radio playlists between 2000 and 2009 it's eligible.
  3. I'm not gonna get hung up on the difference between an important single and a good single. I don't care if it was popular or only had success among albino indie kids in Papua New Guinea, if it's good it's on the list.
  4. Only one song per artist (not counting appearances on the right side of the feat.)
Also, the order I do them in isn't gonna be 100% set in stone other than the top 25 or so. I've got the master list somewhat divided into tiers of quality, but within each tier the order might be a bit arbitrary. I'm not gonna get too hung up on that either.

This thing gets off the ground tomorrow with a few that didn't quite make the cut. The list proper starts on Monday. Let's hope I can keep up with this and not get distracted by shiny things too easily.

Of course I'm open to suggestions here even though I may not change the list. If any real egregious omissions arise I'll make note of it somehow.

No comments: